Just as an aside I wanted to write a bit about why they did this. At the end of Wrath, for some reason, they made it so that you could aquire all of the mats that you needed to get cooking from 450-525 within the first minute or two of Cataclysm's release (especially with the Chef's Hat). So basically it was a race to see who could log in faster to get the Realm First for cooking, rather than who could get the mats together and create the items faster, or possibly completing relevant daily quests, etc. By doing the rollover everyone should have an equal chance at getting all the server firsts, minus all the relogging you're going to have to do when the servers don't work as expected of course.
What does this mean for you?
If you download addon updates for the expansion while logged into the game, don't forget to relog. If you plan on playing at the midnight release, have all your addons updated about a half hour before, then relog. In theory addons shouldn't need crazy updates because we're in 5.0 already, but some will need to be updated, just grab what you can then go! Make sure you're doing the same during down time, getting on curse and updating all your addons, developers constantly work on these things to keep them up to date, and addons are a gold makers best friend. You also may have to check the "load out of date addons" box as well for everything to transition smoothly. Hard to say considering Blizzard has never done this for WoW in the past.
Okay what if I'm not going after server firsts?
- Get your most valuable crafters to 90! (More about why I say this tomorrow)
- Don't forget to post Monk glyphs, and post them often! Pre craft the ones you can NOW so that you're ready on expansion day!
- If you've created Blackfallow Ink since it was tradeable in 5.0, dump it NOW. No speculation this time, trading it WILL be gone for good at the stroke of midnight! Don't let your carriage turn into a pumpkin!
- Level your crafting professions ASAP anyway! The best profits come at max level!
- JC/Alchemy will have a daily gem cut discovery and transmute CD respectively, the sooner you start, the better!
- Clear out your quest logs in advance. You may be able to do more than 25 dailies every day, but your log can still only hold 25 quests.
- If you have the time, do as many level 85 dailies before hand, and be ready to turn them in at the stroke of midnight/the next time you log. It will give you a slight edge over everyone else!
- Don't be ashamed to spam trade for Ore or other raw mats. The sooner you can get your professions up, the better (esp for cooldowns)
- Dump everything Cataclysm related, vendor it after MoP or put it in a bank, you'll need the bag space!
- Last but certainly not least, even if you're not going to level their professions, LOG INTO YOUR ALTS! At the beginning of Cataclysm, for 80s to start recieving Rested XP, they needed to be logged into at least once after the expansion was released. If MoP follows suit (which it very well may) you should log your alts so they start to receive rested ASAP.
Look out for my post tomorrow where I will cover which crafter I personally am leveling up first and why.
If you like my blog follow me on twitter, @PhatLewtsGold!!